Colonel Edward H. Evans, Jr. is the Commander, 186th Air Refueling Wing, Key Field Air National Guard Base, Meridian, Mississippi. The 186th Air Refueling Wing provides over 1,100 personnel and eight KC-135R aircraft to Air Mobility Command for worldwide operations. The wing also supports domestic counter-drug and emergency response missions as well as overseas combatant commander requirements with an RC-26B aircraft. Additional units include the 238th Air Support Operations Squadron which serves as a combat force multiplier to U.S. Army counterparts, the 248th Air Traffic Control Squadron which is capable of providing air traffic control services for commercial, military and general aviation aircraft operating out of any airfield worldwide, and the 186th Air Operations Group which supports the Continental United States North American Aerospace Defense Region, First Air Force and Air Forces Northern, CONR–1AF (AFNORTH). The Group provides Air Force staff augmentation, supports the homeland defense mission, and delivers defense support to civil authorities during domestic events.
Col. Evans received his commission in 1992 as a graduate of the Reserve Officers’ Training Corps program at Mississippi State University. His assignments in the U.S. Air Force include the 2d Civil Engineer Squadron, Barksdale Air Force Base, Louisiana, and the 51st Civil Engineer Squadron, Osan Air Base, Republic of Korea. Evans joined the Mississippi Air National Guard in 1997 as a pilot candidate. After completing Specialized Undergraduate Pilot Training in 1999, the colonel returned to the 172d Airlift Wing to fly the C-141B. He later flew the C-17A. His duties at the 172d were C-141C First Pilot, Squadron Executive Officer, C-17A Instructor Aircraft Commander, and a two year detail as The Base Civil Engineer. His previous commands include the 172d Airlift Control Flight, 172d Operations Support Squadron, and the 286th Air Operations Group.
Prior to assuming his current position, the colonel served as the Director, Joint Air Component Coordination Element (JACCE), 286th AOG at Key Field ANGB, Meridian, Mississippi.
1992 Bachelor of Science Degree, Industrial Engineering, Mississippi State University, Starkville, Miss.
1994 Master of Science Degree, Information Technology, Louisiana State University, Shreveport, La.
2000 Professional Engineer, Mississippi State Board of Registration, Professional Engineers & Land Surveyors
2002 Squadron Officer School, by correspondence
2005 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
2007 Reserve Component National Security Course, National Defense University, Fort McNair, Washington D.C.
2012 Air War College, by correspondence
2013 Air National Guard Commander Development Course, ANG Readiness Center, Joint Base Andrews, Md.
1. March 1993 – March 1996, Utilities Engineer, 2d Civil Engineer Squadron, Barksdale AFB, La.
2. March 1996 – March 1997, Chief, A-E Design, 51st Civil Engineer Squadron, Osan AB, Republic of Korea
3. March 1997 – March 1998, Deputy Base Civil Engineer, 172d Civil Engineer Squadron, Thompson Field, Miss.
4. March 1998 – March 1999, Student, Specialized Undergraduate Pilot Training, Laughlin AFB, Texas
5. March 1999 – January 2004, C-141B/C Pilot, 183d Airlift Squadron, Thompson Field, Miss.
6. January 2004 – April 2014, C-17A Instructor Aircraft Commander, 183d Airlift Squadron, Thompson Field, Miss.
7. August 2006 – August 2009, Commander, 172d Airlift Control Flight, Thompson Field, Miss.
8. August 2009 – April 2011, Base Civil Engineer, 172d Civil Engineer Squadron, Thompson Field, Miss.
9. March 2012 – April 2014, Commander, 172d Operations Support Squadron, Thompson Field, Miss.
10. April 2014 – December 2015, JACCE Director, 186th Air Operations Group, Key Field ANGB, Miss.
11. December 2015 – April 2017, Commander, 186th Air Operations Group, Key Field ANGB, Miss.
12. April 2017 – Present, Commander, 186th Air Refueling Wing, Key Field ANGB, Miss.
Rating: command pilot
Flight hours: more than 4,300 including more than 725 combat hours
Aircraft flown: T-37, T-1A, C-141B/C, C-17A, and KC-135R
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Aerial Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force ROTC Commandant’s Award Winner, McConnell AFB, Ks.
Parachutist Badge (Jump Wings), Fort Benning, Ga.
Lance P. Sijan Leadership Award Winner, Barksdale AFB, La.
Engineering Manager of the Year, Osan AB, Republic of Korea
Outstanding Officer, Specialized Undergraduate Pilot Training Class 99-06, Laughlin AFB, Texas
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant, February 1993
First Lieutenant, February 1995
Captain, June 1997
Major, November 2002
Lieutenant Colonel, December 2006
Colonel, January 2015
(Current as of June 2019)